The flora of Thailand consists of a wealth of plants, many of which remain to be scientifically described. With more than 500 species of trees, 600 species of ferns, and 1,300 species of orchid, Thailand's forests are of huge botanical significance. Although Thailand is within the tropics, the distinct wet and dry seasons affecting much of the country means that 65% of the forests are deciduous with trees shedding their leaves in the dry season. The remaining 35% of forest is evergreen, although in reality there is much mixing of deciduous and evergreen in many areas.